Area of Technology:Chemical and Allied
Title of the Innovation: Polymer Modified Bituminous Binders
Brief About Innovation
This technology was developed to produce high performance bituminous binders to meet future requirement of road construction in the country. This technology uses inexpensive polymers such as Elastomers : Styrene-butadiene-Styrene (SBS); Plastomer: Ethyl-butyl-Acrylate (EBA) and crumb rubber (CR) which are easily available in open market to produce high performance bituminous binders. The crux of the process is the polymers recipe – a combination of various polymers in different concentrations - to achieve the synergistic effect to achieve enhanced performance of bitumen.
1. Process eliminates the conventional air blowing step
2. Process uses inexpensive polymers to produce Polymer Modified Bitumen (PMB)
3. Process uses low – cost waste tyres (shredded rubber tyres) to make Crumb Rubber Modified Bitumen (CRMB)
4. Use of PMB/CRMB reduces maintenance cost of the roads by 20% - 30%.
5. Roads made of PMB/CRMB are more durable compared to roads prepared by conventional bitumen
6. No additional infrastructure is required except a homogenizing unit which is required for proper dispersion of polymer in the bitumen feed stock
Copyright © 2019. NRDC - All Rights Reserved
Designed and Developed by Maxtra Technologies.